What is the Aquamarine gemstone?
The word aquamarine means ‘seawater’, and came from a group of Roman fishermen who called it ‘aqua marinus’ which was translated from Latin to mean ‘sea’. Aquamarine is more than just another sparkly stone. Bright blue in color, it mimics the hue of the deep sea. It is highly valued for its clear blue values and sparkly specks and has a very long list of uses and symbolism.
Value of the stone
Mined from granite and metamorphic rocks, Aquamarine is a stunning azure blue in color. After it is mined, it is chiselled into smaller gemstones that are further sanded into the lovely shiny gemstones that we see every day. Like an emerald, it is a member of the Beryl family of stones. Most of the aquamarine we see today in the market come from Pakistan, Brazil, India, Russia, or Madagascar. A blue-green colored aquamarine can be relatively cheaper, but a pure blue one tends to command some big bucks.
Apart from its commercial valuation due to its beauty and purity, it is also very valuable because of what it represents/symbolizes. It is also known to be a very good healing stone. In this article, we shall be discussing how the blue aquamarine is actually a lot more than a gorgeous stone that you can adorn on your neck, ears, or wrists.
History of the symbolism behind Aquamarine and the lore around it
The history of this brilliant blue stone dates back to Ancient Egypt, almost 4 thousand years ago. Legend says that it was a prized stone for mermaids and mythical sea creatures. Because of its likeliness to the sea and ocean, its whole significance is wrapped around the ocean and what it represents. Since the beginning of trade and sea-travel in humans, aquamarine has been believed to protect sailors. Because of its value, mermaids were believed to protect the ships and sailors carrying this stone. This folklore still stays very popular to this day, as many marine personnel still carry aquamarine with them when they set sail.
Archaeologists have found aquamarine in bead-pits of mummies and sarcophagi of ancient Egyptians since Egyptians believed in the calming powers of the stone and guiding a soul to peace in the afterlife. Hence, it is also believed to bring eternal peace and calm in life.
Just like the Egyptians, aquamarine was a big part of Greek and Roman mythology too. Apart from ensuring safe travel for sailors, it was also believed to help people suffering from sea-sickness. The Romans even used bright blue aquamarine to purify water. The wealthier class of society was known to make goblets out of aquamarine in order to completely utilize its purifying capabilities. Following on the footsteps of the Egyptians, the Romans also carried aquamarine to funerals of the dead, to help the soul pass on to afterlife in peace and tranquil. The Ancient Roman fisherman community believed that carrying a blue aquamarine enhanced the chances of a good catch (something that many current fishermen around the world still believe)
Back in 1953, the President of Brazil had gifted Queen Elizabeth II with an aquamarine necklace. The deep blue of the stone enchanted the Queen so much, that a few years later, she had a tiara made out of them. Well, cannot fault her. These stones are indeed stunning.
Birthstone for the month of March, it is associated with the Zodiac signs of Scorpio, Pisces, Aquarius, Aries and Gemini. The symbolism behind the aquamarine encompasses a vast range of healing and strengthening energies. For those who find it difficult to meditate effectively, aquamarine is known to aid meditation. Similarly, those who are overwhelmed with responsibilities and are chronically stressed can use aquamarine for clarity and tranquil.
If you are someone who believes in chakras, then aquamarine will interest you very much. The throat chakra is one of the most important chakras and aquamarine positively affects the same.
As it is one of the first spring birthstones, it represents rebirth and healing. It brings the promise of a better future and makes dealing with trauma much easier.
Health Benefits & Symbolism
- Along with the mental health significance that it has, it also has a good amount of physical health significance.
- It can heal gum and teeth problems over time and make it easier to deal with bodily pain.
- Apart from that, one can also use it for breathing problems like asthma, etc. As discussed earlier, the blue aquamarine is very effective for all ailments connected with the throat chakra, thus making it a very effective stone for cough and tonsil issues too.
- It is popularly known as ‘breath stone’ among those that practice alternate medicine and crystal Feng Shui.
- Hence it makes sense why it is used by people with sinus, lungs and respiratory problems. It is also believed to help with lung issues like bronchitis, hay fever, allergies, and colds.
- The blue gemstone is also known for its skin healing properties. Its soothing effect on skin inflammatory ailments makes it great for those that suffer from various skin problems. These problems can include eczema, psoriasis, hives, rosacea, and severe cystic acne too.
- When used properly, it is also known to alleviate hormonal issues. It stimulates hormone production in pituitary and thyroid glands. Moreover, it is also known to soothe any ailment when placed atop the affected area (with the help of strategically placed jewelry near the afflicted area of body)
- Those women who are currently undergoing a pregnancy are usually also advised to keep a blue aquamarine around them.
- During gestation, it facilitates a healthy delivery and protects the baby from a miscarriage.
- Moreover, for complications after pregnancies, it is believed to help the mother and child stay out of harm’s way.
- Since this is a stone with a very high feminine energy, it is believed to help women maintain their health and fertility by keeping a blue aquamarine around.
Mental Health Benefits & Symbolism
- It is known to help relieve people who are running from past demons and bad stuff/memories that are hindering their future/present growth.
- With people who are dealing with a lot of traumas, it helps them come out of it and deal with the repercussions of the trauma.
- Even with people dealing with toxic relations, it helps these people see clarity and see people for who they are and their intentions with them.
- The whole idea of blue aquamarine helping people reach meditative states is telling of how tranquil the energy of this stone is. It is used by heavy meditators to access deeper levels of consciousness and gain very deep wisdom from their meditative sessions. This wisdom can be both about their surroundings, and also about themselves.
- The clarity offered by the blue aquamarine also aids in making sure the people in depressive episodes and those suffering from various mental health disorders find peace and calm in their lives.
- Since this is the stone of courage, it helps you face yourself. You won’t just be seeing people’s true forms and intentions, but also yours.
- This means that you will understand yourself better. And we all know understanding yourself is the first step to finding a good footing around the idea of what you want. Because who you are is very much related to what you want. And unless you know what you want, you will not be able to chalk out a clear path to achieve it.
- People in relationships have experienced a heightened level of communication and clarity in their dynamic because of carrying blue aquamarine. This could be because of the clarity the gemstone provides. By seeing your partner’s true nature and intentions clearly, you’d be able to reciprocate and understand them better. This makes for a great couple’s stone. (No wonder it is the most sort after stone for couple’s matching pieces of jewellery).
- To those that believe in guardian angels and protective ancestral spirits, the blue aquamarine is a great gemstone for it. It helps people connect with their guardian angels and feel strong intuitions along the way. They can also communicate with their higher self, thus being guided towards being their destined selves.
- It is believed that anyone born between March 21st and 25th will experience a great spiritual energy and connection in the presence of this stone. Whereas those born between July 28th and August 1st will find a growing bond in relationships when the blue aquamarine is kept around.
- Because of its strong aura, it helps those in leadership positions (in family or work) to keep their calm whenever a situation tests their patience. It is known to make one mature, and initiate a clarified and purposeful thought process without any unnecessary clutter.
- People who are artistically inclined will find a deepened sense of sensitivity towards their surroundings and profound insights on the same, which they can channel into their art. Many famous artists were known to keep blue aquamarine in their studios to stimulate senses and bring a better quality of depth and honesty into their work.
Blue aquamarine is a wonderful gemstone with a lot of deep symbolism attached. It is known to benefit various areas of life and enliven your living/workspace with strong auras according to Feng Shui.